7-Zip is a highly compressed file archiver. Usually 7-Zip compresses up to 7z format by 30-70% better than up to zip format. High compression ratio in the new 7z format with LZMA Compression. Supported formats – Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR. Unpacking only: 7z, ZIP, RAR, GZIP, GZ, BZIP2, BZ2, TAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, LHA, CHM, MSI, WIM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB, CPIO, DMG, FAT, HFS , LZMA, NTFS, SPLIT, SWM, TAZ, TBZ, TBZ2, TGZ, TPZ, VHD, XAR, XZ, Z and NSIS. For ZIP A in GZIP formats, 7-Zip provides a compression ratio of 2-10% better than PKZip and WinZip. Self-extracting features for 7z format. Integration with Windows Shell. Powerful file manager. Localization for 70 languages.
The main features of 7-Zip:
- High compression ratio in 7z format with LZMA and LZMA2 compression
- Supported Formats:
- Packing / Unpacking: 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP and WIM
- Unpacking only: AR, ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DMG, EXT, FAT, GPT, HFS, IHEX, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, QCOW2, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, UEFI, VDI, VHD, VMDK, WIM, XAR and Z.
- For ZIP and GZIP formats, 7-Zip provides a compression ratio that is 2-10% better than PKZip and WinZip
- Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and zip formats
- Ability to self-extract for 7z format
- Integration with the Windows shell
- Powerful File Manager
- Powerful version of the command line
- Plugin for FAR Manager
- Localizations for 87 languages
- 7-Zip works on Windows 10/8/7 / Vista / XP / 2012/2008/2003/2000 / NT. There is a command line version port for Linux / Unix.
7z has an open architecture, so it can support any new compression method. Currently, the following methods are integrated in 7z:
- LZMA – an improved and optimized version of the LZ77 algorithm
- PPMD - PPMdH by Dmitry Shkarin with minor changes
- BCJ – Converter for 32-bit x86 executable files
- BCJ2 – Converter for 32-bit x86 executable files
- BZip2 – Standard BWT Algorithm
- Deflate – standard algorithm based on LZ77
LZMA is the standard default compression method in 7z format. The main characteristics of LZMA:
- High compression ratio
- The variable size of the dictionary (up to 4 GB)
- Compression speed: about 1 MB / s on a 2 GHz processor
- Unpacking speed: about 10-20 MB / s on a 2 GHz processor
- Small need for unpacking memory (depends on dictionary size)
- The small size of the code to decompress: about 5 KB
- Supports multi-threading and hyper-threading P4
- The compression rate of LZMA / LZMA2 has been increased by 3-10%,
- and there are minor changes in the degree of compression.
- Some bugs fixed.
- The error in 7-Zip February 18-18.05 has been fixed: memory leak in xz decoder.
- 7-Zip 18.02-18.05 used only one CPU thread to create the bz2 archive.